If you have a beloved dog keeping you company at home, you probably want to spoil them with good and fun dog treats. As a caring dog owner, you want to find something your pup will love, but you also want to keep them healthy. Fortunately, there are more options than ever before, from subscription treat boxes to freeze-dried organ meats to sustainable insect chews.
The importance of good and fun dog treats
Dog treats serve several important purposes in a dog’s life and in the relationship between dogs and their owners. Here are some key reasons why dog treats are important:
- Rewards and Positive Reinforcement: Good and fun dog treats are commonly used as rewards in dog training. Positive reinforcement techniques, where dogs are rewarded for good behavior, are effective in teaching dogs new commands and encouraging desired behaviors. Treats provide a motivational incentive for dogs to repeat the behaviors that earn them the reward.
- Bonding and Relationship Building: Offering treats is an opportunity for owners to bond with their dogs. Dogs associate treats with positive experiences and affection from their owners, strengthening the emotional connection between them.
- Encouraging Good Behavior: Treats can be used to reinforce good behavior and manners in various situations, such as walking nicely on a leash, coming when called, or being calm in certain situations.
- Training and Learning: During training sessions, good and fun dog treats serve as a useful tool to communicate with dogs and reinforce desired actions, making the learning process more enjoyable and effective.
- Mental Stimulation: Using treat-dispensing toys or puzzles can provide mental stimulation for dogs, keeping their minds engaged and preventing boredom.
- Dental Health: Some dental treats are designed to help clean a dog’s teeth and reduce plaque buildup, promoting better oral hygiene and fresher breath.
- Occasional Indulgence: Treating a dog occasionally with unique or novel treats can bring joy and excitement to their lives, just as humans enjoy occasional treats.
- Medical Administration: In some cases, good and fun dog treats can be used to hide medication, making it easier for dogs to take their medicine without resistance.
- Training in High-Distraction Environments: In challenging environments with distractions, such as during walks or visits to new places, treats can be particularly useful to reinforce good behavior and maintain focus.
Good and fun dog treats kinds
Ziwi Good Dog Rewards Air-Dried Beef Dog Treats
- Nutrition: First eight ingredients are meat or organs
- Size and texture: Jerky-like texture that breaks apart easily
- Flavor: Also available in lamb and venison
Ziwi treats are 96 percent meat, which means dogs aren’t filling up on candy, because most of the brand’s treats are good and fun dog treats with a single protein,” says Nicole Ellis, a certified professional dog trainer with Rover. They’re a good option for dogs with sensitive tummies and allergies, as they are grain-free with no added carbohydrates or fillers, and they come in a variety of proteins.
Best Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats – Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Carnivore Crunch Dog Treats
- Nutrition: The first six ingredients are meat or organs
- Size and texture: Small chews that are easily crumbled
- Flavor: Also available in chicken, duck, and turkey
Royah Nuñez, a dog trainer and the founder of Quing Canine, recommends these freeze-dried raw treats for picky eaters. Each Carnivore Crunch flavor is made from a single source of protein, making them a high-value option.
Best (Less Expensive) Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats – Stewart Pro-Treat Beef Liver Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
- Nutrition: Freeze-dried beef liver
- Size and texture: Dense chunks may need crumbling for small dogs
- Flavor: Also available in chicken liver, turkey liver, duck liver, lamb liver, and salmon
These good and fun dog treats from Stewart are universally liked and can be a good option for dogs with allergies. They come in multiple flavors, but being made with freeze-dried raw meat might be a turnoff for some pet parents.
Good and fun dog treats for Teething Puppies – Best Bully Sticks 6-Inch Bully Sticks
- Nutrition: Beef pizzle
- Size and texture: Firm but not as hard as bone or antler
- Flavor: Beef
Chew toys are the first line of defense when it comes to teething puppies gnawing on everything in sight. Of all the treats a young dog can gnaw on, bully sticks are the best bet for keeping a puppy occupied and are rich in nutrients.
Best Low-Value good and fun dog treats for Training Dogs
- Nutrition: Wheat flour, poultry liver, salt, garlic powder, and mixed tocopherols
- Size and texture: Thin, crunchy, hollow, and small
- Flavor: Also available in cheese and egg, turkey liver, and chicken and vegetable
If you’re using good and fun dog treats as a reward system for training your dog, choosing the best ones gets a little more complicated. Not all treats are created equal even for dogs who love food.
Best High-Value Treats for Training Dogs – Barkworthies Lamb Lung Dog Treats
- Nutrition: Lamb lung
- Size and texture: Thick, strong-smelling pieces may be too dense for small or senior dogs
- Flavor: Lamb
High-value treats are great for rewarding skills in high-distraction situations and behavior modification. Barkworthies Lamb Lung Treats are a high-value reward that can be stored without worrying about spoilage.
Best Sustainable Protein Treats – Jiminy’s Cricket Peas & Sweet-Potato Dog Treats
- Nutrition: Pumpkin, carrot, oats, and cricket protein
- Size and texture: Small and squishy with a strong smell
- Flavor: Pumpkin and cricket
Cricket treats are higher in protein and more nutrient-dense than traditional treats, with lower carbon emissions. Some dogs love them, while others may not be as fond of the cricket flavor.
Best CBD-Infused Treats for Dogs with Joint Issues
- Nutrition: Complete Spectrum Proprietary Hemp Oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- Size and texture: Small soft chews that can easily be broken in half, two sizes/doses for big and small dogs
- Flavor: Peanut butter
ElleVet Hemp CBD+CBDA Chews for Large Dogs
As Uli and I both get older, I have been looking for ways to supplement our diets with protein and other essential nutrients. We have not tried this human-grade bone broth yet, but I’m excited that it exists. Should you want to share a bone broth with your pup, this one from Nugget’s Healthy Eats, which is safe for both people and pets and shipped frozen for freshness, is your very best bet.
Read also: Homemade cat food to gain weight