Are you in search of a solution to help your beloved feline friend gain weight naturally and healthily through homemade cat food to gain weight? Whether your cat is a bit on the slender side, or your veterinarian has recommended they put on a few extra pounds, homemade cat food might be the answer.
Homemade cat food to gain weight
Crafting your own cat food ensures that your pet receives all the necessary nutrients and calories required for healthy weight gain. If you’re unsure where to begin, this guide will walk you through some vet-approved homemade cat food recipes that can assist your best furry friend in their journey towards a healthier weight. However, remember to consult your veterinarian before making any significant dietary changes for your cat.
Also discover: Homemade cat food to gain weight
Best homemade cat food to gain weight
Explore a range of vet-approved homemade cat food to gain weight. From delectable chicken and beef to tempting bacon and salmon, these recipes are sure to tantalize even the pickiest of eaters.
Chicken and Rice Delight
This recipe offers balanced nutrition by combining lean chicken with rice, providing a perfect blend of protein and carbohydrates.
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish oil (optional)
- Thoroughly cook and shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Prepare the rice according to the package instructions.
- Mix the cooked chicken, rice, chicken broth, and optional fish oil in a bowl, ensuring even distribution.
- Serve appropriate portion sizes based on your cat’s weight and size.
Tuna and Sweet Potato Medley as a homemade cat food to gain weight
This delightful recipe combines protein-packed tuna with nutrient-rich sweet potatoes for a satisfying meal.
- 1/2 cup canned tuna (in water), drained
- 1/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon taurine supplement (consult your vet for the appropriate dosage)
- Break up the canned tuna into small chunks after draining.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until soft and mash them thoroughly.
- Mix the flaked tuna, mashed sweet potatoes, olive oil, and taurine supplement in a mixing bowl, ensuring even distribution.
- Serve suitable portion sizes, considering your cat’s weight and size.
Beef and Pumpkin Stew as a homemade cat food to gain weight
This hearty stew combines protein-rich beef with fiber-packed pumpkin for a nutritious, calorie-dense meal.
- 1/2 cup lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup cooked pumpkin (pureed)
- 1/4 cup peas (cooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- Cook the lean ground beef thoroughly, ensuring no pink remains.
- In a separate pot, cook the pumpkin until soft and puree it.
- Cook the peas separately until tender.
- Combine the cooked ground beef, pumpkin puree, peas, and coconut oil in a mixing bowl, mixing thoroughly to achieve a stew-like consistency.
- Serve in appropriate portion sizes for your cat’s weight and size.
Salmon and Quinoa Delicacy
This homemade cat food to gain weight dish, combining omega-3-rich salmon with protein-packed quinoa, supports healthy weight gain.
- 1/4 cup cooked salmon (flaked)
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chicken bone broth (low-sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon flaxseed oil
- Cook the salmon until it flakes easily.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
- Combine the flaked salmon, cooked quinoa, chicken bone broth, and flaxseed oil in a mixing bowl, ensuring all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve suitable portion sizes based on your cat’s weight and size.
Egg and Cheese Omelet
This homemade cat food to gain weight provides a delicious, calorie-dense meal rich in protein and calcium by combining eggs and cheese, creating a satisfying and healthy dish.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated cheese (low-sodium)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them until well mixed.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan, spreading them evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the eggs.
- Cook the omelet until the eggs are fully set, and the cheese has melted.
- Allow the omelet to cool and cut it into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Serve an appropriate portion size for your cat, considering its weight and size.
The benefits of homemade cat food to gain weight
Homemade cat food to gain weight offers several advantages, including the use of all-natural ingredients, pure protein, the absence of additives or fillers, and essential nutrients vital for a healthy feline diet.
- All-Natural Ingredients: Utilizing high-quality ingredients ensures that your cat receives optimal nutrition. Renowned veterinarian Dr. Fox recommends ingredients like clams, eggs, cottage cheese, gelatin, and supplements such as kelp and nutritional yeast in his homemade cat food recipes for weight gain.
- Pure Protein: Homemade cat food to gain weight provides pure protein, a key benefit. Commercial cat food often contains soy and bean products as protein sources, but homemade recipes allow for the use of raw meat, rich in high-quality protein. This ensures your cat receives the essential nutrients necessary for building muscle and gaining healthy weight, helping satisfy their hunger.
- No Additives or Fillers: Commercial cat foods frequently include unwanted ingredients that can be detrimental to your cat’s health and weight goals. Preparing homemade cat food to gain weight gives you complete control over your meals, allowing you to use nutrient-dense, high-quality protein sources like raw chicken, beef, bacon, or salmon. This means no artificial flavors or preservatives that could hinder your cat’s weight gain progress.
- Essential Nutrients: Nutrient-rich homemade cat food recipes contain essential ingredients like taurine, Vitamin E, and B-complex vitamins, promoting your cat’s overall well-being. Including ingredients such as a bone meal for calcium and Wild Salmon Oil for omega-3 fatty acids ensures a balanced diet that supports healthy weight gain.
Tips for Helping Your Cat Gain Weight
Ensuring your cat maintains a healthy weight is vital for their overall well-being. If your feline friend needs a little extra padding, consider these tips to help them gain weight effectively.
Adjust Protein Intake
Increasing the protein content of your cat’s diet while monitoring portion sizes can aid in healthy weight gain. Opt for the right balance of protein to support muscle development and gradual weight increase.
Change Their Diet
Switching your cat’s food can be a straightforward yet impactful strategy for weight gain. Introduce new food gradually alongside their current diet, focusing on high-calorie canned or wet options. Prioritize foods rich in protein and easily digestible nutrients.
Ensure Ample Hydration
Ample water intake is crucial for overall health and appetite stimulation. Encourage your cat to drink more by providing various sources of fresh water around your home. Consider using multiple bowls or a pet fountain to entice them to stay hydrated.
Also read: Scooby snacks for dogs